Saturday, October 17, 2020

IN THE QUICK by Kate Hope Day

In the QuickIn the Quick by Kate Hope Day
My Goodreads Rating: 1 of 5 stars
My Personal Rating: 2/10 (D)... Disappointing.

I received this book as an Advance Readers Copy for an honest review.

This storyline had me so intrigued from the start. Written with an alternate future - a brilliant and troubled young girl enters an astronaut training program in the hopes of one day becoming an Astraunat. She is haunted by an event that happens when she is twelve years old.

I wanted to love this book - I dove right in with hope and excitement but June got the best of me. She was not a likeable character at all. She was a very difficult girl who followed no rules but her own - there are rule breakers and rebels, but she was beyond belief in her ability to just do whatever she wanted to do with minimum consequence. The book required the reader to suspend more belief than I was confortable or able to do. I love books that stretch our minds with alternative futures and ideas, but this was too much for me.

I hate writing bad reviews because I know the author put time and effort into this story and I can appreciate what Kate Hope Day is trying to do here because it's a great premise. I wanted more excitement in space re: Saving Inquiry and less of June's troubles.

I am not clear if this is YA or not - it read very much like a YA book but there was at least one sex scene that to me was not YA considerate (or maybe I am prudish!).

#NetGalley #InTheQuick

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment