Thursday, July 01, 2010

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Pub. Date: January 2001 (orig. pub. 1942)
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Format: Paperback, 224pp
Series: C. S. Lewis Signature Classics
ISBN: 0060652934
Library Loan

In Episolatory format, the Screwtape Letters is the communication of the devil Screwtape to his nephew on earth, Wormwood. Wormwood is on earth to secure human souls for hell. These letters from Screwtape give guidance to Wormwood on how to handle "the patient", the human he is trying to secure the soul of for hell. Through these letters we learn about the situation on earth with Humans and how they can be swayed to go towards evil ways.

I think myself and this book got off to a bad start, I must have started out reading the book while distracted because I didn't realize at first that these were letters from hell. The terms "The Enemy" made me wonder if the enemy was god or the devil at first. Once I figured it out I liked it a little better. I went back and re-read the prologue of the book and realized that I was mistaken in not being sure who "the Enemy" was referring to. I LOVE the idea of this book, coming from the perspective of evil but we only learn from one side of the conversation and I would have liked to have seen back and forth communications from the uncle and nephew.

The book fills the following challenges for me:
  • Hogwarts Reading Challenge
  • New Authors Challenge
  • PBT Bingo - Christian Living Tag

No comments:

Post a Comment