Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Pub. Date: September 2004
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group
Format: Paperback, 192pp
ISBN-13: 9780743273565

In 1902's West Egg, NY life is very different than Nick Carraway, newly transported from the west, is used to. His neighbor Jay Gatsby lives an extravagant lifestyle that intrigue's Nick until Nick gets swept up in the drama that comes with this type of lifestyle. His cousin Daisy and her husband Tom are also living this lifestyle and what develops between all the characters in this story is crazy and unbelievable yet could be right out of the pages of today's tabloids.

I am so glad I read this story, it was nothing like I expected it would be and I was so pleasantly surprised. This is a classic story that was true to the time it was written and is even true to society today, it is truely a timeless classic. A complex story of interwoven characters that is better than most stories written today. The twists and turns to the story were great and now I'd like to see the movie, to see these characters come to life. Each character was developed nicely and were wonderful in their own flawed way.

This book fits the following Categories/Challenges for me:
  • Hogwarts Reading Challenge (Muggle Studies)
  • The Romance Reading Challenge
  • Monthly Mixer Mele Challenge
  • New Authors Challenge
  • PBT Favorite Tag
  • PBT BINGO Favorites Challenge

2 comments:

  1. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books!! Thanks so much for stopping by and following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, I have Tender is the nights by Fitzgerald and I have no idea what to expect from it.

    ReplyDelete