Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Rating: 2.5/5 Stars

Paperback
Pub. Date: February 2010
413pp

Library Book

Ronnie and her brother are products of a divorced family unit and Ronnie holds a lot of anger towards her parents but especially her father for leaving the family. When Ronnie was younger her father taught her the piano and she was a prodigy but now she refuses to play the piano and is an all around rebellious teenager. One summer, her mother forces her to stay with her father for the summer and Ronnie is not pleased with the prospect of spending the summer in North Carolina with her father. While in North Carolina, Ronnie's life unfolds in ways she never expected, at the end of the summer she has changed by leaps and bounds.

I was apprehensive when my friend asked me to read this book so that we could go see the movie together but I'll read anything for a discussion and for the bonus of seeing the book turned to film. I was apprehensive because I had read in Entertainment Weekly magazine that the book was written specifically for Miley Cyrus. If I have my information correct, Miley Cyrus had asked Disney for a movie similar to "A Walk To Remember" and Disney went to Nicholas Sparks and asked him to write it, and here we are. Now EW.com says that Miley did a great job in the film, so I'm looking forward to seeing how she did in the movie. But the book fell short for me.

The story was well written, as Nicholas Sparks is the master of this kind of story, and it was a nice story but it was very predictable. It felt like a story I've read a thousand times so in that aspect I was bored with parts of the story. But there were parts of it that I enjoyed and I was interested to see if my plans for the characters were the same as Sparks' plans - and they were. I can definitely see Miley Cyrus playing the part of Ronnie and with EW.com's review of the her in the movie, I look forward to the movie.

This book fits the following Categories/Challenges for me:
  • Hogwarts Reading Challange (Charms)
  • Romance Reading Challenge
  • Monthly Mixer Mele Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment