Monday, December 30, 2019

ASK AGAIN, YES by Mary Beth Keane

Ask Again, YesAsk Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane

My Goodreads rating: 3 of 5 stars
My Personal rating: 5/10 (C+) ABOVE AVERAGE

I am starting to realize that family drama may just not be my thing. It was well written and I can find no real fault with the story or the writing. It bounced back and forth a bit in mid conversation but not so much that i couldn't follow along. I wouldn't minding reading another type of book written by Keane but I don’t think I would recommend this one unless I knew this was the type of book that the person liked. This isn't my first family drama that others liked that I didn't enjoy - enter THE NEST by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney. This one was better than THE NEST, but it still never fully succeeding in pulling me into the story and I found myself picking up my phone or watching TV after each chapter, not anxious to read another.

What I did very much like about this novel is that it explores what mental illness that is not treated can do to a family and the individuals that make up that family unit and I think it handled that subject very well.

My favorite quote:
"They'd both learned that a memory is a fact that's been dyed and trimmed and rinsed so many times that it comes out looking almost unrecognizable to anyone else who was in the room."

This is most likely my last finish of the year.  I don't regret reading this one and I've had several amazing reads this year, so I am content with this one being the end - its a book that makes you think.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment