Saturday, January 25, 2020

SORRY NOT SORRY by Sophie Ranald


Sorry Not SorryMy Goodreads rating: 2 of 5 stars

My Reading Cove rating: 4/10 - Average (C)




Goodreads Synopsis:


Is this all there is? I hadn’t had so much as a sniff of a shag for over a year. I scraped the last dregs of Caramel Chew Chew ice cream out of the bottom of the tub with my finger and licked it. It left a sticky smear on my phone’s screen when I typed into Google, “How to find love, sex and happiness.”

Charlotte has always been a good girl.

She sorts her paper from her plastic. She eats her greens (even Spirulina, whatever that is). Boozy brunches with her best friends on the third Sunday of every month are about as bad as she gets.

But being good is getting boring…

Charlotte’s not just stuck in a rut – she’s buried in it up to her chin. The only company she has in bed is the back catalogue of Netflix and falling in love feels like the stuff of fairy tales. So when she stumbles across a popular podcast, Sorry Not Sorry, which challenges women to embrace their inner bad girl, she jumps at the chance to shake things up.

Old Charlotte would never ask for a stranger’s number, go on a blind date or buy lacy lingerie… But New Charlotte is waving goodbye to her comfort zone (with a side order of margaritas). And it turns out that good things happen to bad girls, as Charlotte finally finds her Mr Right – or so she thinks… Is falling in love too tough a challenge even for Charlotte?


My Thoughts:


This book took way too long for me to read for a "chick-lit" type book. I had personal/work stuff going on so I assumed the reason it was taking so long was because I was distracted but honestly, the book just wasn't grabbing me. I almost stopped reading it at one point but because it was for a Reading Cove book discussion, I was determined to finish. Given this I started to skim and I was about 60% into the book when I finally started to feel like we were getting somewhere and started to enjoy the unwinding.

It has a Bridget Jones feel to it and in the end I didn't fully regret reading it, just how long it took for me to get into it and through it. I think the thing that bothered me about the book most was that Charlotte made herself out to be someone she really wasn't in the beginning - low self esteem maybe? But it was a bit disappointing to learn that she wasn't quite as "regular" as she felt she was. At least with Bridget Jones, she was who she was portraying herself to be.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment