Saturday, February 13, 2021

THE FIVE: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold

The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the RipperThe Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Personal rating: B-

Let me first say that this book was very well done and super interesting. Hallie Rubenhold made it very clear that simply labelling these women as protestutes is short-sighted and incorrect (in several of the cases). I learned so much about London in the time of Jack the Ripper, as well as about these women themselves and at times it didn't feel like Non-Fiction. These women's lives were very interesting, each one unique and tragic in their own way. But i have to admit by the time I got to Mary Jane I was a bit burned out on information. And this is why I do believe that my rating may reflect more about how I read it and I will read it again one day - what I think is the right way - and update my review at that time to reflect.

To Explain:
There is a TON of information to absorb, all relevant and important to the time and these women's lives that it deserves proper time and reflection. when I re-read this book I will read it a chapter at a time over a longer period of time. Taking time to absorb and reflect before moving on to the next woman. when I re-read I will purchase a physical copy so that I can highlight, note, tag as needed within the book itself. I don't think that I will ever go back to the highlights in the kindle book for reflection.

I am still very happy that I read this book and were introduced properly to these interesting women.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment