Sunday, January 17, 2021

THE WIFE UPSTAIRS by Rachel Hawkins

The Wife UpstairsThe Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
My letter rating: C- BELOW AVERAGE

I received this book on Audio from NetGalley as an Advanced Readers Copy for a fair and honest review.

Psychological Thriller has been my go to genre for some time because I love surprises and twisty turns in a book. However, recently this genre has been fading for me and I feel like a nitpicky customer when it comes to the genre these days, but it's being over run with books that are just 'meh' and this book is just another on the list for me.

None of these characters are likeable, and a good book needs one likeable person to cheer for. But - even so, i continued to read on. Yes, there were twists, but this book does some stretching of the imagination to pull it off and I just couldn't suspend belief in several areas, and this ruined the book for me.

This is where if you haven't read the book and don't want spoilers you should not read on:
1) There is a panic room upstairs that the people inside can't get out. Panic rooms are built for people to not be able to get in NOT to keep people in. If it was built with the intention to keep people in, that is one thing - BUT, in the end it was shown to be a normal panic room - it would have made more sense if Eddie was the "bad" guy and built it with this intention.
2) How can someone shower in the panic room and no one in the house hears running water through the pipes or the water heater kicking on?
3) I get that "Jane" is making a new start but how in the world is she able to take on the inheritance (including Bea's business) from Eddie and Bea with an alter ego, it's not like they left her cash. Wouldn't she need to prove who she was? (SS#,bank accounts, birth cert?)
4) If Bea and Eddie are not dead, how do they move on when "jane" has all their money and now owns Bea's business? it's not like they planned to run away and were able to put money in an account for this.

There are more but these are my top 4.

It had potential with the premise, but it really missed the mark for me - like so many Psych thrillers have these days.

#NetGalley

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment